Tabs

Friday, October 15, 2010

Feeding your bird

I would like to take a moment to discuss feeding your birds.  I have had a lot of customers who was not aware of the proper diets, for their birds.  I am going to start by telling you what not to let your bird have.
avocados ( very toxic)
chocolate
apple seeds (CORE your apples before you give them to the bird)
caffein
alchohol
even though this is not food, figure a good time to mention that room sprays, smoke, burning teflon coatings, some carpet shampoos, paint fumes, can be harmful to your birds too.  Will cover other things at another time.

Birds need more than a pellet or seed diet. 
Depending on the bird and size of bird, they should have produce, either real tiny pieces, for small birds like finches, or can give larger sizes, to larger birds.  I make up a mixture for all my breeders, as well as the birds in the pet shop.  They get their mixture every morning. 
I put into mixture, cooked brown rice, or pastas, with chopped up fresh vegetables or even frozen .  I sometimes add eggs, sometimes cooked beans like pinto, sometimes lentils, or split peas.  I make a huge pot of this,I cook it all together, and then put part in zip lock bags and freeze part of it to have on hand for a day or two off of cooking lol.  Then I add to said mixture, chopped fruits, apples, grapes, bananas, and any other fruits I have on hand.  Sometimes berries, mango, peaches, pears.  I then add to this mixture, powdered vitamins and also calcium/magnesium.  I carry Avitech products, and Use AviVita Gold and Cal-D-Solve. 
For the little birds, I put the mixture into a hand food processor which chops it all up fine.  The other birds get it in bigger pieces.  Sometimes I also add walnuts to said mixture, sometimes small amount of chicken.  Yes birds can have small amounts of meat. 
Here are some items my birds also love. 
mashed potatoes with peanut butter
macaronni and cheese.
ramon noodles ( spelling lol)
sweet potatoes  cooked
yams  cooked
squash and pumpkin cooked
avoid a lot of lettuce, has very little nutrition, plus can make their stools lose.
can give spinich, Kale, carrot tops.  
The internet has a world of info on your bird, so enjoy looking up info, for the type of bird you have.  But careful their is also a lot of someone says this and someone say that stuff, so don't get confused.  If you would like, you can always send me a gmail, I will try to help you with any questions.  Also, if you have some info to cover, feel free to write to the readers here. 
Oh I almost forgot, Sunflower seeds, a lot of the birds love them, but try not to feed too many, as they can be unhealthy in large amounts, over a period of time. 
If your bird has been just a seed eater or pellet eater, and won't eat other foods it should have, keep up giving it, sometimes taking their seed away for part of the day ( a few hours or so)  then maybe they will check out their new mixture you provided them. 
You can make up your own mixture and freeze little bags, and zap in micro wave to thaw.  Tomorrow I will be adding a great bird bread recipe.  So please watch for it.

No comments: